Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day 9 of 33

I've found the novelty of my situation is starting to wear off. I miss my present life and my future wife. My situation here makes it difficult to find a group to socialize with. Anyway, lots of exciting things are still going on.

We returned to rehearsal today and finished blocking the show. John, the playwright, has returned home until we get to tech rehearsals. In his absence, I found that I had a larger role in the rehearsal process and thing became more engaging. I'm looking forward to seeing where we go from here.

After rehearsal I decided to "take the night off" and get some shopping, cooking and cleaning done. This leads me to one of my culinary disappointments in San Diego. I expected that, coming to California, there would be a wealth of fresh produce available at very cheap prices. However, I found that is not the case. Please see Exhibit A:

This is a pot of chicken chili that I made tonight. The recipe called for fresh corn on the cob, and I was not even able to get it at the local supermarket! I was forced to get some salty corn in the can instead. Am I spoiled by what is made available to me in New York?

For the past week I have been in San Diego, I have been hankering for some fresh guacamole. My first day I bought some avocados, which apparently transformed into green bricks on my way home. I wrote it off on getting the cheap avocados from Trader Joes. However, in each of my subsequent food trips to different markets, I haven't found ripe avocados. *On a side note to this story, I have found no local markets for buying produce, only large supermarkets. This is kind of a bummer also* Today, after feeling up the newest batch of green bricks, I decided to at least purchase some guacamole. I figured there must be some local producers putting out guac with some west coast flair. I purchased a tub and brought it home.

Well, it certainly had a west coast flair. This guac tasted like none I had ever had before. I looked more closely at the package, to discover this was actually Guacamole FLAVORED Dip and contained less than 2% Avocado!!! WHAT?!?! I mean, I should have known better than to buy the guacamole from the toothpaste aisle, but still... Why is it so hard to get Avocados in California? Isn't this where New York gets its avocados from?

It got me to thinking, though. The last time I was in California, it was in Northern California where there is rich farm land. In San Francisco, you could not go two blocks without running into a produce market. San Diego, on the other hand, is basically a desert. Perhaps the markets here are actually being greener and trying to stay local, even at the expense of having a poorer variety.

Therefore, I will endeavor to find out what the local food really is and see if I can live more locally. (endeavor is the key word... you can't stop me from indulging in some Diet Coke and M&Ms).

On to the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment