Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 13 of 33

I'm behind schedule! Do not fear, I am ok.

Saturday was a fun day. The whole San Diego to Los Angeles has been in anticipation of the much hyped CARMAGEDDON. It involved shutting down the major freeway for the weekend to do work on an overhead bridge. There was much concern that it would cause traffic nightmares, since it is already one of the highest trafficked highways in the county. However, they built it up so much, that nobody even bothered leaving their homes and it was absolutely no issue.

At the same time, San Diego was celebrating Pride Weekend. We had the Pride Parade on Saturday which was momentous since it was the first time there was active military marching in the parade. I think that is pretty cool. Pride weekend was also very hyped up to me from all the locals (between this and Carmageddon, I had high expectations for the weekend!) and they told me the neighborhood we were in was "Ground-Zero" for the celebrations. One person told me to leave extra time to get around and not to even bother trying to ride my bike.

Well, when I left in the morning, there certainly seemed like more people walking around than usual, but nothing that would stop me on my bike! I spent the majority of the day inside between rehearsal and running lines with actors outside of rehearsal, but I headed out again Saturday night. I walked down to the main strip in the neighborhood, University Ave, hoping to do some serious people watching and perhaps join in the festivities. However, I felt it was pretty underwhelming. There were throngs of people waiting to get into clubs with dance music blaring, but that seemed like your typical Saturday night in Hoboken. There were people showing pride, but nothing worth people watching, just your typical East Village fare.

I must admit, I was disappointed with San Diego. I thought more people would be, you know, showing their pride! Especially with everything that is going on in politics and society. Then I thought about it more, and why should we be that excited? I mean, you should be proud of yourself, regardless of orientation, every day. It's sort of like doing your homework - Yeah it's great that you did it today, but everyone should always do it.

That is why I thought a city like San Diego might be just be over it. For instance, when New Orleans won the Superbowl, it sent the whole city and state into a state similar to a sugar-hyped child. When New York won the Superbowl a couple years back, it was cool, but not the first time we've had a sports team win. Perhaps cities like New York, San Diego, San Francisco, etc are just past their honeymoon period when it comes to celebrating LGBT pride. Now we just have to get the rest of the country on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment