Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day 10 of 33

Rehearsals continue and all is well on that front. Also, the US Women are advancing to the finals of the World Cup!

I'm running out of museums that I can visit, since many of them are open only during our rehearsal hours. I will never forget the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco has "Nightlife", where they stay open late once a week and open bars inside the museum! It was a great way to cultivate a different crowd to come to the museum, and I'm sure they made a mint off it, as well.

Well, I stumbled down to the San Diego Air & Space museum, where I had an hour to poke around before they closed. They actually have a deceivingly large space and a very nice collection of planes, especially the WWI collection that I spent most of my time on. I learned that Charles Lindbergh's plane that he commissioned to fly across the Atlantic, Th Spirit of St. Louis, was built by a San Diego company. They had a full replica sitting right in their entrance.

Of course, they also had another important achievement in air, space & TIME travel: One of only 3 remaining DeLoreans used in the filming of Back to the Future !

I feel I have learned a little about San Diego now, especially from my visit to Old Town on Monday. However, I can't say I feel I know the STORY of this city. What really created the city, what cultural influences paved the way, and what makes it how it is today. In short, what would you put in SAN DIEGO! THE MUSICAL? I add this to my list of goals to accomplish while I am here.

I leave you with this picture. These are "filling stations" for Electric Cars that I found sitting in the middle of this parking lot! I guess if you are in the know, this is where you leave your car to charge while you wander the park. Only in California...

No comments:

Post a Comment