Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 4 of 33


As Alex said to me tonight on the phone:
"You're getting all cultured out there in San Diego!"
I guess I needed it.

It really is amazing what is available to me just in this one park. After my morning news, coffee, and yoga in my room, I decided to head over to Balboa Park early and hit up some museums. I hit up the Museum of Man, which I find a severe misnomer, as there was no beer, football, or hot chicks featured inside. Museum of Mankind I suppose would be more appropriate (I hope you're reading, San Diego). Nonetheless, I saw some interesting exhibits on board games, mummies, and Mayan sculptures. You know, typical man stuff. I only had about 1.5 hours before heading to rehearsal, but I found that to be the optimal Mickey-not-yet-bored-in-a-museum-time.

By the way, I have to walk through this garden to get to the rehearsal room everyday. Life is tough. It has a cool sounding Spanish name, but somehow it always escapes me and I am forced to call it Alcatraz Garden. On that same note, I finally got a chance to snap a shot of the rehearsal room today when nobody was around (you know... Equity rules). I was amazed by the size of our room, until I peeked inside the OTHER rehearsal room for the Old Globe Festival Shows.

We had another great rehearsal and just started to put the show on its feet. I continue to be awed by everything here, from the amount of rehearsal time to the crack Stage Management team to the Dramaturg ON STAFF. So far, there has been little for me to do except learn.

After rehearsal, I grabbed drinks with my friend and brilliant playwright, John. We both toasted our luck to be working here. He also provided me some insight on moving ahead career-wise on some various things, and I plan to start tonight!

We parted ways and I went to the San Diego Art Museum (more culture). They had an exhibit on Gustav Stickley and the American Arts & Crafts movement, which I went to SPECIFICALLY to be a good fiance because Alex is interested in adding Arts & Crafts elements to our wedding. Unfortunately, it focused on Stickley's furniture company and did not provide much insight. When I left the museum and crossed the parking lot, a man with sidewalk chalk started chasing me. Apparently they had some new art exhibit tracing people's walking paths. I ran some "cone drills" between the car stops to give them something interesting.

I left the museum and headed back to the Old Globe to see Much Ado About Nothing. It was a very nice production and I was happy to see their capabilities. It was interesting to see their outdoor festival space. Between the airplanes landing at the nearby airport, and the peacocks wooing each other at the zoo next door, the actors sure have a lot of competition for audience attention.

Well, that wraps up another day. Now to get some work done!

2 comments:

  1. What kind of career advice? Write your own plays and then direct them? Find some richer parents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chiefly, the career advice centered around finding a new career.

    ReplyDelete