Monday, July 25, 2011

Day 21 of 33

We started technical rehearsals today. Apart from one scene in the second Act, it is not a technically difficult show, so we managed to get clear through the first Act today.

I felt that I was able to provide some help today, which was great. With everything going on, the director would occasionally ask me to relay some notes. Also, I have a good relationship with the playwright, so I would go back and forth between the two and try to keep everything going smoothly.

I tried to snap a couple pictures of the theatre and backstage, but only when I was alone, so as not to reveal myself as starry-eyed. This is one of the hallways around the theatre. Immaculate except a few boxes scattered around. Apparently this theatre is very new, perhaps only 2 years old or so.

It was fun to work in a professional atmosphere with professional designers, because I think I don't often conceive of what could be possible, as opposed to what we get stuck with on the summer stock and off-Broadway circuit. Although the show is very simple, we have some fairly complex technical elements during transitions that are very nice and beat the heck out of a blackout.

Generally it is frowned upon to take pictures of the set outside of publicity, because it is considered the property of the designer. Since I'm pretty sure the readership of this blog is limited to my parents, I felt it was probably safe.

I may not have mentioned this before, but we are actually working in the round. This offers a unique set of obstacles and I'm glad to have the opportunity to assist on a show in the round before doing it myself.

I went home for dinner break, and got ready to come back for that night's session. There was supposed to be a shuttle that picked us up at our housing at night and brought us all over to the theater, so we don't walk through the park at night. However, the pickup time came and went and there was no bus nor anyone waiting for it. I jumped on my bike and sped back to the theatre (I'm pretty fast, so it was not an issue).

I discovered that Hershey Felder, who was doing a show in another theater in the complex and I mentioned earlier, had sprung on dinner for everyone! There was a huge spread in the green room with pastas, dips, salads, and deserts. All the actors decided to hang out and get free food at the theatre instead of heading back. The stage manager then thought they should cancel the shuttle since nobody would be taking it. Apparently, I went forgotten in all these proceedings - Womp Womp Womp...

Well tomorrow is a day off. I think I need to spend some time on my career instead of leveling up my Petilil on my illegal Pokemon game. Where would I like to be n 5 years? I'd like to not be forgotten!

1 comment: