Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 3 of 33

As you can see, the days are clicking by quickly. I already feel as if there is much that I am not taking advantage of, despite how productive I am being.

I started off the day heading over to the theater for our first production meeting, only to find out there was a power outage throughout Balboa Park! This is a problem for a number of reasons, but specifically San Diego in the summer requires a good amount of air conditioning! In any case, we got through the meeting in record time.

We discovered the power had come back on in the rehearsal space, so our day, at least, could resume as normal. While the actors were doing their dialect sessions, I found my way to a Chase branch west of the park, a previously unexplored area. I mention this only to show you today's picture of the day, a statue I found on the West side of the park. This woman was apparently a great gardener and other things and considered the mother of Balboa Park. I thought this was a very nice thing that someone did.

Rehearsal went well again. Sometimes it is nice to take a back seat in rehearsals and just observe, but it can also drive you nuts to be afraid to speak your mind. Jury is still out on whether I like being an Assistant, but certainly The Old Globe is a special place.

I have yet to see a show at The Globe. The theater had not gotten power back yet when I left after 4:00pm, and had decided to cancel that night's performance of Amadeus, which I had just figured out how to get tickets to. Hopefully tomorrow I can provide updates on the actual theater!

On the upside, my rental bicycle had been dropped off during the rehearsal day, so I took that out for a spin (literally). After booking it through an exhibit of "George Inness in Italy" in 8 minutes, I found out all museums closed by 5pm. I decided instead to hit some park trails on my new bike. However, the combination of it not REALLY being a mountain bike and me not REALLY being a mountain biker led to some funny consequences. However, I'm sure the trails are quite nice when you aren't dragging your face through them.

It got me to wondering how people get into Mountain biking in the first place. Do guys hit a point where they say "Hey I need a new hobby, and I don't need my testicles or my face anymore... let's try mountain biking!" I thought that, being a reasonably fit and sporty person, I could at least conquer a "Medium" level trail, but I was gravely mistaken.

I finish my evening hanging out in a coffee shop / wine bar (why aren't there more of these?!). They are kicking me out now, probably because I smell of mountain biker, so I will leave you with this picture and depart. Until Day 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment