Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 28 of 33

Sunday was an interesting day. We did not have a performance Saturday night, which meant we really had limited things to work on Sunday. We quickly dispatched our remaining work notes, and then had the rest of the afternoon to ourselves.

Since I was already in the park, I decided not to go level up my Pokemon, and instead to do some more sight-seeing. My first stop was the Timken Art Museum. This actually was my first museum stop in San Diego, but last time I was rushed through 5 minutes before closing. This time I had time to spend. It is a small museum, but for a free museum I thought some of their paintings were fantastic. They have many interesting paintings from what I believe to be both pre-Renaissance and Renaissance eras. There were a couple which seemed to experiment with perspectives, but which has really funky perspectives.

I then meandered over to the San Diego history museum. I found that I already knew most of the information between my experiences in Old Town and at the Cabrillo monument, which is just another indicator that I had been here too long. The most interesting thing at the museum for me was this picture. It is a rendering of what the park might look like for the 1915 California-Panama Exposition, for which much of the town was built. It has this fantastic gray quality paired with this Italian inspired waterway (where there is now a freeway)

I grabbed myself a lemonade and headed over to the Spreckels Pavilion. I photographed the pavilion earlier, but today there was a free organ concert going on.
After the concert, they invited us inside to see the inner mechanics. I learned that this organ was also built for the 1915 fair and used to be quite a big deal in San Diego. I saw pictures with over 50,000 people in attendance. It saddens me to see it reduced to the current audience you see in the video.




I took a quick walk through the Japanese Friendship Garden. It is only about 1.5 acres right now, but they are undergoing a huge expansion through one of the park's canyons. I would love to come back to see what they have renovated.

I followed some music I heard blasting, which led me to the international cottages. They have a lawn surrounded by cottages representing most of the countries of the UN. Today, Columbia was celebrating their Lawn Day with concerts and a food stand. You could stop in pretty much any cottage to get a pastry or coffee of the local culture. However, I was flush out of cash (due to my earlier lemonade) and felt I could not spare anything for the suggested donation. I snapped a blurry picture of the Irish cottage.

I finally headed back to the theater, where Hershey Felder had again set up a family dinner for everyone. During our rehearsal, we could smell him stirring up the bolognese (while wearing all black, of course) so I felt I needed to go back and check it out. Well, it was quite the spread! I helped myself to two servings plus desert, therefore concluding that Yes I would have to ride my bicycle up to La Jolla on my day off and No, I could not just rent a car.

The preview went well, but generally seemed sloppy. The director decided, and I agreed, that we need a full brush-up rehearsal on Tuesday before performing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment